Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Perry Does It Again in Too

ASSI - Tyler Perry is back with a follow-up to his movie, Why Did I Get Married, regarding four couples who get away for a weekend retreat, and learn more about each other than they wanted to know. In "Why Did I Get Married, Too" the entire cast: Janet Jackson, Malik Yoba, Sharon Leal, Tasha Smith, Michael Jai White, Richard T. Jones, Jill Scott, Lamman Rucker, and Tyler Perry return to deal with all of the unresolved issues from one. Tyler is a good director, screen writer and producer who knows what resonates with Black movie goers. "Why Did I Get Married, Too is reminiscence to opening Pandora's box. The couples are harboring relationship issues that are manifesting in an unhealthy ways.

Would we be interested in Perry movies if they were without DRAMA and more DRAMA,? Is DRAMA the key ingredient to a successful movie? The rumor mill circulating the film tauted it as Perry's best film. I beg-to-differ it was about the same as his other movies. Is it worth seeing on the big screen? No! You can wait for it to come out on DVD where it will probably do better in sells than the box office. Perry claims that other directors are going to take note of Janet's performance and book her for other films, I disagree, she was alright but it was not an Oscar winning performance. I liked the movie for the eye candy. My eyes love what it sees when looking at Lamman Rucker, Richard T. Jones, and Michael Jai White who I had the pleasure of meeting at a restaurant in Seattle, Washington was worth it for me.

Tasha Smith connects a little too well with her character, I know she had a blast playing Angela the none trusting wife of Marcus, played by White. Patricia, played by Jackson, is tormented over the lost of her son and simply cannot find her way back to her husband, Gavin. Terry who is Perry's character loves his wife but does not feel the love in return until her little secret is revealed. Scott plays, Sheila who is newly married and dealing with a new addition, new husband, a new home, and a old husband who just want go away. It is all too much for her husband Troy, played by Rucker, who is struggling with finding employment. There relationship is early similar or should I say exactly like Bird and Lem's situation in Soul Food the movie. I thought that Louis Gasset, Jr. and Cicely Tyson's characters, were going to be insightful, and be the positive influence the couples needed to rekindle their relationships. What was I thinking? It's a movie things are not supposed to make sense, just entertain.

As I see it, Why Did I Get Married, Too is an entertaining movie that tackles the same issues that couples, in the real world, face daily. It's how we deal with these issues that makes a difference in our lives. In the movies, there is a script that actors follow; therefore, we should not get ourselves all wrapped up in their on screen lives. If you see yourself or your relationship in any of these couples, get some help. I give "Why Did I Get Married, Too two and half blinks.

No comments: