Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 10, 2009

A Spinach Surprise

ASSI - The spinach industry has taken hits over the last year due to tainted spinach. In an effort to avoid the E. coli bacteria many spinach consumers made an alternative choice and turned to Arugula leaves, which offers about the same nutritional value, but slightly different taste. As a spinach consumer who never waiver even during the E. coli scare; however, there was a surprise in my spinach the other day that deeply concerned me. Although I don't believe the item will harm me, it makes me wonder about the methods used when harvesting (if this is the correct term) spinach for consumption. The piece found in my spinach looked like tree bark or a bone with dried mold on it. I phoned Taylor Organic Company just to inform them of the item packed in the spinach purchased from Sam's club. I really thought that someone from the company would respond because it's a three generation family owned business that prides themselves on providing the finest quality of fresh salads and vegetables but to my surprise no one returned my call to even inquiry about the item. As I see it, the Taylor Family is not as mindful of producing quality products as stated on the packing, I know things happen screws and parts from equipment are often found in vegetables, but this makes me wonder if the spinach was prewashed and/or inspected prior to packaging. I think not! What measures are taken to ensure foreign items are removed prior to packaging and shipping? Therefore, as a consumer make sure you wash your spinach prior to consuming raw spinach.

No comments: