Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Deceptive Practices at U-Save

ASSI - We rented a car from U-Save Car Rental in Tampa, Florida, and I truly believe that we were the victim of deceptive practices. We arrived at U-Save Car Rental on June 18, 2009, the shuttle picked us at from the airport, and we received a Toyota Corolla that wasn't in the best condition. There were smeared ashes in the center console between the driver and the passenger seats and ashes under the radio where you could place tapes or coins. There was also Black splashes all over the passenger floor, it look like something spilled or exploded on the floor. The vehicle was inexpensive to rent, half the price of the other car rental companies; therefore, we attribute the condition of the car to the price. Similar to the vehicles that rent-a-wreck provides for a nominal cost.

We make it a practice to read the contract prior to leaving any car rental company, primarily because the representative quickly covers key areas of the contract where the customer initials and signs, and to be certain we fully understand what is expected of us we reread the contract. Upon returning the car, we were assessed a $50.00 fee for smoking in "Smoke Free Vehicle," which was a first but I asked the representative on what basis was the fee assessed. He stated that there were smeared ashes in the vehicle. I explained to the representative that the smears were there when we received the car and the only reason it was not pointed out to you when we took possession of the vehicle was due to the fact that we didn't see anything in the contract that stated the car was a "Smoke Free Vehicle."

The Representative took out the contract and at the top of the merchant's copy there is a small blue stamp "Smoke Free Vehicle" with $50.00 printed even smaller under it. I asked the representative why that was not covered prior to me signing and initialing the contract. The Representative stated that I should have read the contract. I stated that I had read the copy of the contract that I was provided. It is clearly not printed on my copy nor did I initial that I was aware that I would be responsible if the vehicle had any evidence of smoking, which would have prevented me from taking possession of that car.

I phoned the corporate office to address this as a deceptive practice, the regional manager stated that he needed to speak to the owner of the Tampa location, Ms. Lisa Sissler. Ms. Sissler, phoned the manager and stated that she was unwilling to remove the charge, Mr. Foster apologized for her unwillingness to credit us, and provided her direct number so that I could personally speak with her. I left a detail voicemail for Ms. Sissler, but to no avail. Therefore, as I see it, it does not pay to go the less expensive route with a smaller establishment, due to the quality of the vehicles and lack of customer service. It is worth it to spend more up front to avoid additional charges on the back end for uncovered conditions that can be assessed to the customer.

It appears that U-Save car rental wrongly assessed charges to customers as a means to make additional money. If it is an enforced in fraction why isn't covered? I had to initial the decline of insurance, the odometer reading, that the car would not be taken out of Florida, and I had to provide my insurance information. This is why I believe that the "Smoke Free" stamp that is only on the merchant's copy that lacks a place for an initial and isn't cover is deceptive.

No comments: