Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 4, 2008

Steam or Iron a Garment!

ASSI – After seeing the infomercials on garment steamers, burning a pair of slacks with an iron that continuously leaked, I’d had enough with my iron, and instead of replacing it I purchased a Rowenta Garment Steamer. All of my clothes require ironing even the clothes that I dry clean require a touch up, an iron is a necessity for me, so I went to Macy’s and compared their selection that consisted of the Conair compact steamer, HoMedics HomeTouch garment steamer, and the Rowenta that was the most expensive. Unsure if the price made the difference, I checked out the features, and the Rowenta offered more and seemed to be the better buy. I also went to Target, I believe in being diligent, and Target had two brands available in the store Shark and Rowenta, but offers others on-line.

The Rowenta was fifty dollars cheaper at Target, it is easy to assemble, has large water tank that holds 128 ounces of water, large wheels for mobility, Auto-off, foot operated on and off lever with indicator light; lint, fabric and garment brushes, it heats-up within 2 minutes, has an aluminum swivel hanger rod, and a cool-touch handle but the hose becomes extremely hot so be careful not to touch it. You also have to be mindful of how you hold the handle, especially when steaming from inside a garment. I am unsure if steaming saves me anytime, granted I do not have to set-up the ironing board, position the garment on the board, plug the cord into an outlet, and select a temperature setting, but steaming dresses and skirts are more difficult because the Rowenta is without a telescoping rod, which would prevent stooping, kneeling, or folding the garment to steam. I should not have been surprised when I steamed a blouse and it was somewhat damp, not wet, when I put it on. I also expected the wrinkles to disappear instantly; however, cotton and denim fabric takes a little longer.

After the first week, I contemplated returning the garment steamer, I thought it too complicated, and non user friendly. Since, I use it daily my opinion is changing, I like that the Rowenta Steamer stays plugged into the outlet, I only steam my dry cleaning where there are wrinkles or lines, my clothes look and smell better, and areas where an iron is limited is not a problem with the steamer. As I see it, even with the occasional stooping and kneeling it is much better than standing over an ironing board pushing an iron back and forth, when I am done I simply remove the garment from the hanger and put it on, and push the steamer back in it’s designates spot and I am done eliminating the break down and storing the Ironing board behind the closet door. I give the Rowenta Garment Steamer 4 blinks.

No comments: